I found photos, documents and letters to match the dates when my mother's passports were issued then cancelled. It was a structure suitable for a timeline. I curated the collection for the ones that would enhance the narrative of her life.
There were milestones that I highlighted with selective layering and book structures.
At times, I felt like an archeologist diving into an ocean of memories, stories, letters and photographs, holding my breath and wondering what I would find.
Sometimes, I swam up for air in tears.
HEAD – CONCEPT, RESEARCH & MEANING
- during the pandemic, a genealogy hunt through memorabilia
- Elena at age 18 through 70 in black & white passport and ID photos
- finding a nuanced and personal story while examining texts and dates in the passports
- Notion of identity: colonialism? citizenship? nationalism?
- Identities: daughter, mother, wife, lover, alcoholic
- The personal story of a female traveler through several decades
HEART – COMMUNICATION – FEELINGS AND EMOTIONS
- nostalgia and musings on different situations: Elena's, Angela's
- of a time and place: 1930’s through 1990’s
- recalled narratives using Elena's own words and letters
- expressive, poignant, frustrating, angry, sad, resignation, acceptance
HAND – PROCESS & TECHNIQUES
- structures for mysteries and questions
- zoom in for details
- overlay texts and images